Friday, April 30, 2010

Ideas for Healthy Joints

I am often asked for ideas in dealing with Joint health....
in fact my friend Ian just asked me about this the other day.
Ian, this one is for you!

I find it fascinating that so many people get achy or stiff joints.
I have this issue myself, so I have done my research!



For optimum joint health consider an anti-inflammatory diet.
Search my blog for information on anti-inflammatory foods.
Excess inflammation in the body directly effects your joints. Along with a fantastic
anti-inflammatory diet, here are a few supplements that may help:


  1. Glucosamine and chondroitin. These two compounds help provide the building blocks for substances naturally found in healthy cartilage and appear to relieve pain, and improve joint mobility.
  2. SAM-e. This naturally occurring molecule (S-adenosylmethioine) delivers sulfur to the cartilage, which helps build and maintain strong joints.
  3. Evening primrose oil. A source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) which may help maintain healthy joints.
  4. Anti-inflammatory herbs. Ginger, holy basil, turmeric, green tea, rosemary, Scutellaria and hu zhang all have naturally occurring compounds that help maintain joint health.
  5. Omega-3 fatty acids. Use varieties that are molecularly distilled from the oil of fish or krill and contain both EPA and DHA, essential fatty acids which have been shown in studies to help maintain bone health and joint flexibility.

No comments: