Thursday, May 28, 2009

GREEN TEA


As I sit here enjoying morning cup of Green Tea I am pondering the reasons why I started drinking this little gem of a Tea. I used to drink Green Tea every afternoon with a little snack. My morning routine consisted of a luscious cafe latte with soy milk. Pete's coffee made the best! I sadly discovered that I had formed an allergy to coffee. Can you believe it? I have it tested every year in the hope that I can start drinking my cafe latte's again in moderation, but no luck. I would at least love to enjoy a bit of coffee after a lovely Italian dinner! However, I have found that Green Tea is an excellent replacement for my morning coffee...especially when I add a bit of steamed soy or almond milk and make it into a green tea LATTE! Now I can't imagine drinking anything but green tea in the morning.

Green Tea has many special health benefits that inspires me to drink it daily. It's secret lies in the fact that it is rich in polyphenols. Polyphenols are the same ingredient in Red Wine that everyone is raving about. The polyphenol in red wine is in the form of resveratrol. These polyphenols are powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants from plant foods are important as they seem to stabilize "free radicals", protecting DNA damage that could allow cancer to develop.
Fruits and vegetable also contains antioxidants that combat free radicals. I eat as much as I can plus I even juice my veggies daily to get my load of antioxidants. It is nice to know that my morning cup of green tea gives my body the additional boost of antioxidants it needs.

Try it out.... Skip that morning cup of Joe and Try a refreshing cup of green tea. Your day will begin with a load of antioxidants! If you can't get skip that AM coffee, which I understand, try it with your afternoon snack. If you don't snack between lunch and dinner this is your excuse. Choose a snack that has a bit of protein and carbohydrate, like sliced apples and a handful of walnuts. With the walnuts you are sneaking in a hit of Omega 3's! Your body with thank you for the blood sugar balancing of the snack and the load of antioxidants from the green tea.

Grab your cup of Green Tea and ENJOY!

No comments: