Monday, September 28, 2009

Homemade Nut Milk

I discovered the benefit of fresh homemade Nut milk a few years ago while I was exploring the Raw food world. I found that an entirely Raw food diet was not for me yet, some of the recipes have stuck with me. Our bodies are most happy when we feed it an abundance of fresh fruits, vegetables, and seeds. Drinking homemade nut milk allows you to add yet another fresh enzyme packed element to your diet. It is easy and oh so good!

I like to add Almond or Hazelnut milk to my morning Green Tea and to my morning smoothie. You can make a nut milk with Walnuts, Almonds, Hemp Seeds, Hazelnuts (fantastic!), or pumpkin seeds.

It is simple.

Add about a 1/4 cup of nuts and 2 cups of water to a high speed blender.

*Add a 1/2 tsp of vanilla (alcohol free) or even better... toss in some vanilla beans from the inside of a vanilla pod.

Blend in a High speed blender until it becomes liquid.

Strain with a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth.

Your Milk will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.

* A quick alternative is to mix a nut butter, like almond butter, with water. You will need about 2 tablespoons for 2 cups of water. The outcome is about the same but easier...no need to strain out the excess husks.

Post your thoughts after you try your homemade Nut Milk.

No comments: